Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What a day

Well, I'm exhausted. 

Today was eventful.  I took a "personal day" so I could drive up to LA for a job interview and to check out a room in Tujunga.  

My appointment was at 1pm in Pasadena, so I didn't have to leave the house until around 11.  And that was just in case traffic was bad -- as it often is (and was).  I figured I'd get a little extra sleep, then start the day off with some webcomics and whatnot before Mapquesting directions. 

Well, our ISP was having glitches and service was, as it turned out, down in the entire neighborhood while they sorted it out.  Somehow, miraculously, I was able to access Mapquest in spite of this and get the directions I needed(!). 

Then I messed around for a while figuring out what to wear. This was mostly a matter of deciding which tie to wear, since I've only got one suit per se. Well, and what shirt. I went with the blue one. Big surprise, ha ha. 

Driving to Pasadena was kinda stressful, more or less as usual.  Since my DUI, I get a definite, instinctive sphincter clench whenever I see a police car anywhere on my road.  It doesn't matter than I'm not speeding, etc. etc. -- I just get really tense, my knuckles white on the wheel and pulse thundering in my temples.  That happened twice on the way there.  Not pleasant, but nothing happened.

But by the time I got to Pasadena, that was mostly forgotten. It was a lovely day and Old Town Pasadena is very quaint. It's kinda dirty, yes -- but it's LA, so that's to be expected. But there's a lot of cool old architecture (as well as some more modern stuff) and it's just a really nice place. That's where I'll be working if they take me on. 

The interview went really well -- so I think they will. I hope they will -- I really like the office, the kind of work I'll be doing, and the people there seem like good people to work with. 

After that I went to a prospective living space -- a room in a house in Tujunga.  And THAT looked really good, too! I mean, it's not "my own place" but it's a foothold and it's a really nice house, in a fairly nice area, and the guy I talked to was a really nice guy.  Plus they have a cat! And an exercise room with gadgets! And a really nice backyard! The rent/utilities amount is a little scary but only a little. I can handle it. 

I'll know by the end of the week whether the company will hire me. If they do, it'll be an upgrade in many ways.  I should say WHEN they do -- I really think I killed at this interview, and frankly I'm super-qualified for it.  They'd be fools NOT to hire me. And they didn't seem like fools. 

So yeah, once they hire me, I'll give notice at my current job and in two weeks, I'll be living my own life -- on my own for real, not cloistered or with family. That's simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. But I figure hell, dumber, less capable people than I have managed; I can too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment