Sunday, May 3, 2009

Moving Day

Friday night I went out just to try to catch the last few people on my list that I wanted to say goodbye to. Surprisingly, I ran into more people who deserved goodbyes and they weren't even ON my list.  As well as three out of five of the people who actually were.  

Played a thoroughly shitty two games of pool.  I was already tired, a little drunk, and feeling just a touch sick. Those are my excuses for sucking so bad. I'm sticking to them. Oh, and that I haven't played pool in months.  Yeah. 

My friend got tired of kicking my ass at pool and some other friends had showed up so I went to talk to them.  One of them had promised to help me move but I could already tell he was going to flake on me.  Whatever. It was just good to get to see him before I left. Also there was a chick who came up to me and told me she was totally hot for him and could I hook them up. Now, Eric is not a bad-looking dude, but he's hardly an Adonis. I don't know how he fucking does it but women literally throw themselves at him.  

This particular girl wasn't bad, so I did relay the message.  Then I went back to talking to her friends, who were both a little chunky but both cute and, as it turned out, both lesbians.  Which actually turned out to be really fun because I could let my comments and compliments spin wildly out of control and they wouldn't take it seriously. In fact, I'm still not sure if they were laughing with me or at me. But it was still at least fun to make 'em laugh. 

Anyway, I got home MUCH later than I had intended (around 2am) and went right to bed. Approximately five and a half hours later, my mom is waking me up telling me we needed to move my room now!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mexicans impress the hell out of me when it comes to moving shit. They had arrived at 7am.  It took them half an hour to move almost everything in the apartment over to the other apartment.  Half an hour. Of course, my room had the heavy desk and weird bed thingy so it was definitely the most complicated part. Also some stuff was going across the hall to my mom's new apartment and some was going with me to mine. 

Anyway, a guy who's kinda crushing on my mom came over to help, too, and he totally saved my bacon.  Because while I don't have a lot of stuff, what I do have is still more than I can fit in my car.  I would have had to make two or three trips to bring everything, had it been necessary to do it on my own. But Dave had his big old Jeep SUV thing. Between our two vehicles, we needed only one trip.  That was awesome.  

So this was around the noon hour. I now had to move all my stuff upstairs. Dave had to be elsewhere so he just unloaded his truck and took off. I spent the next couple hours going up and down stairs, then going through boxes and figuring out how to arrange shit.  By around 4:30 I was done and I could finally take a shower and change.  Except, oops -- I didn't have any soap! I ended up going shopping and also getting to explore my neighborhood a bit.  Got the stuff I needed, finally made it back about an hour and a half later. My stomach was rumbling crossly -- I hadn't eaten since about 9am (when I left at approximately the worst possible time to get coffee and food).   

Finally I got my shower, changed, went out for dinner. I spent a good half hour looking for something that wasn't a fast-food franchise. There are actually quite a few such places around here, but I didn't feel like Armenian, Thai, Korean, Italian, Ukranian, doughnuts, ice cream or liquor. 

I finally found a bar & grill which looked like it might serve a decent hamburger.  It didn't. But there are lots of other items on the menu, the burger was still better than a greasy Quarter Pounder with Cheese, and most importantly there were a lot of pretty girls there. 

Brings me to another point. There are a lot of pretty girls around here. I'm not totally certain, but I think a fair percent of them are jailbait, though. It's kind of hard to tell because they dress the same, have the same haircuts and wear the same makeup -- if they're high-schoolers, they're pretty sophisticated high-schoolers.  

This is actually one reason I felt safer going to bars back in OC, too. Because there you could at least be certain no one was, you know, statutory rape waiting to happen.  

Anyway I crashed early that night. I forced myself to stay up until 10 so I wouldn't wake up too early, but I was gone shortly thereafter. 

This morning I woke up and it's apparent that not getting enough sleep or water yesterday screwed me. My nose is runny and my throat a little sore. So I'm going to have to go back to Trader Joe's and pick up some vitamins and stuff.  Because tomorrow I'm supposed to start my first day at my new job and I'm NOT going to do it by making everyone there sick (or even just being sick myself).  

I've left out a lot of stuff, believe it or not -- but this is already getting too long.  I'm going to go do some more exploring today. I wish I had a camera so I could take pictures. The house I'm staying at is very aesthetic; the neighborhood is all right although we've got upper middle crust block and white trash block side by side, which is a little disconcerting.  The main drag has tons of interesting-looking restaurants, stores, stuff like that - and I only went a couple miles.  

The place is right up into the hills which means the weather is constantly changing and when I drive home the hills rear up before me like a fairy-tale destination.  

And most importantly to me, living here means I'm closer to old friends and many new ones, it means I'm closer to the type of connections that will help me get published, and it means that I'm finally out on my own two feet again. Limping, perhaps; almost certainly shuffling -- but I'll pick up speed.  It's all uphill from here, but that doesn't have to mean it's more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment