Saturday, December 13, 2008

United State of Fear

So I've been thinking about this a lot off and on, and I've got a few things to say about the State of the Union. 

Something has changed in American culture, and it's something that should be remedied. 

I've found that in the past several years, words like "creepy", "stalker", even "pedophile" get bandied about in a rather cavalier fashion.  

When I was a kid, well, I'm not sure the term "stalker" had been invented yet.  But activities that today are considered "stalkerish" were romanticism in the 80s.  Guys going out of their way to meet a new girl. Pulling crazy stunts to prove how much they cared, how much the girl meant to them.  Not giving up, because they knew there was a chance.  

These days, a guy tries that stuff and he's probably looking at a restraining order. 

How about "creepy"?  I saw Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist recently.  A good movie, one I was thoroughly enjoying, until one of the characters said, "That's a little creepy."  

No, shithead.  "That" wasn't creepy at all.  It was actually kind of sweet; the "creepy" person was actually revealing their vulnerability just then.  Calling it creepy was itself, kind of creepy.

People today are entirely willing to view any perceived intrusion into their lives as a potential danger. If someone has information about them that they themselves didn't knowingly offer, it's creepy.  

Example: I notice that a girl likes her Corona, no lime.  How do I notice it? I happen to be sitting at the bar when she orders it; I happen to hear because she's yelling in my ear.  Well, maybe she's attractive and I'm interested so later on I bring her a Corona, no lime and try to strike up a conversation. 

Creepy?  To her, apparently.  No, this did not happen to me. But it's pretty real to me that it could.  Similar stuff has.

But here's the funny thing: Most people around my own age or older don't freak out or think it's weird.  They've seen John Cusak with his boom box, and a hundred other romantic comedies. They know a person can make observations, can think with them, can learn from afar.

Or maybe they're cougars.  That happens too. Then I start to worry. Ha ha.

But it would appear that approximately 25 and under is the demographic readiest to freak out.

Here's the thing: In spite of everything, in spite of the tough facade the country puts on, I think Americans are afraid.  They didn't used to be, but they sure are now.  And they're made more paranoid by the knowledge that the government really could be snooping on them through some Homeland Security thing. And by the media splashing the latest school shooting all over the news, or the child molesters, blah blah blah.  Plus the "horrible economy".  

One could assume it probably started with 9/11.  I don't know, myself. That may have just exacerbated things.  It's something that would require research. I suspect that's an excuse.

America is afraid, and the sad thing is, it doesn't need to be. I think a lot of the things people are worried about, are manufactured issues.  

I'm not saying there are no dangers, that creeps, psychos and freaks don't exist.  Sure they do. But what are the freaking odds, REALLY, that it'll happen to you?  I bet they're about on par with lightning strikes.  Do you spend your life in terror of those, too?

There's nothing wrong with vigilance. Nothing whatever wrong with due diligence.  But living in a perpetual state of fear? Worrying about crazies to the point where you see them everywhere, and accuse innocent and well-meaning people of monstrosity? 

Fuck that.  Grow the hell up, America.  You got kicked in the balls.  Grow a new pair and get back to business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment