Monday, June 8, 2009

Music Week day 2: Twisted Tuesday

Typhoid Ashley has shamed me with her first music blog. She went and made her list deeply personal, giving us a little insight into the Ash That Was.  And that's what blogs are supposed to be about, innit?  


Well, I don't know if I can do that for my pre-prepared lists (I "wrote" the blogs for the whole week last Saturday).  But I'll see what I can do.


I chose "Twisted Tuesday" more for the alliterative potential than because I can think of a lot of these.  Part of the problem is I don't know the names of almost any Garbage song, worse luck.  And I've made a point to stay the hell away from Marilyn Manson.  But here's a few songs that are just messed up. 


Bang Bang (Nancy Sinatra)


Medication (Garbage)

I know what I said. This one was a gimme. Also Stupid Girl, but I'm not sure if it counts for "twisted".


All the Things She Said (TATU)


Polly (Nirvana)

Nirvana was my first self-determined foray into "cool" music.  My sisters had for some time been trying to get me to listen to something other than the homogenized pap I'd been listening to until I was ten or eleven.  One had me listening to Jane's Addiction and Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails and The Cure.  Another loaned me Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Pearl Jam's Ten.  I loved them all but none seized my attention like poor, doomed Cobain and his angst-ridden, drug-soaked lyrics and music.  I'm just sorry that I "found Nirvana" through the media circus in the wake of his suicide. My late arrival made me feel like a poseur, but in those days, when the blood was barely dry, no one had to know.  




Used to Love Her (Guns N Roses)


Natural (Dubious Mike)


Relax (Mika)

I was introduced to this song by the lovely Ask A Chola, who posted the video as a bulletin one night, describing it as "campy and rad".  I dare you to disagree.  My quasi-creepy interest in Chola notwithstanding, the song IS both fun and fucked up, making it a worthy addition to any playlist of mine.



Mrs. Robinson (pick your version)

My mom doesn't "get" this song.  Far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to get. We all know why it's tied to adulterous cougars, but I like it because anyone can sing along with "do do do do do doo doo doo doo doo do". Here's to you Mrs. Robinson. 


Stan (Eminem featuring Dido)


Blue Dress (Depeche Mode)

As relevant (if not more) as it was 20 years ago, this song skewers those obsessed with celebrity to the exclusion of all else. 


Burning Man (Third Eye Blind)

I know a guy who refuses to believe this song is about sex.  As far as I know, he's still never been laid. Coincidence? I think not.


Slow Motion (Third Eye Blind)

The music of this song is almost transcendentally beautiful.  The lyrics, not so much.  




Twisted Nerve (Bernard Harrmann)

Sure to burrow into your ear and have you whistling allllll day.  If you're not a fan of whistling endlessly, do not listen to this song.


Heart-Shaped Box (Nirvana)


Torn (Natalie Imbruglia)


...and pretty much anything by Trent Reznor, especially the Pretty Hate Machine album.


That's all I've got for the moment.  But I've already written ahead (again); Wednesday's installment has a lot more crap you never really cared to find out about me. Seriously though, I think I was able to make it a little more entertaining/enlightening. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment