Tuesday, January 6, 2009

F is for...

Well, obviously...!

In all its meanings, variations and connotations, the word fuck has touched my life repeatedly over the years. 

I have fucked things up, been fucked over, fucked it all, been both fucker and fuckee and I am prone to bouts of pure fuckery.  I have not given a fuck, have invited others to take a flying fuck (through a rolling doughnut, no less), fucked the dog (not literally, although one of my cousins knew a guy), fucked around, fucked sideways, frontways and upside down.  That last one was pretty memorable, I might add.

My favorite monologue ever contained roughly four dozen distinct uses of the word.  It was fuckin' funny. 

My nephew, when he was three, greeted myself and his grandmother in public by shouting, "Oh fuck! It's grandma!"  It was a proud moment. Only, not for his mother.

Better men than I have commented widely on the word and its uses; all I'd have to add is in spite of what some people seem to think about it, fuck truly is a wonderful word. And that's as it should be, since the activity it describes as its primary definition is, face it, a wonderful activity.  

Oooh, have I any prudes amongst my readership?  Why should fucking be repugnant?  Sure, it can get ugly. It can get perverted and stupid and violent.  Sure, it's not something you really wanna get stuck thinking about all day, every day.  Because if nothing else, you'd chafe, and that's just no fun. 

I certainly agree that it's not the best thing since child-proof caps (seeing as it, naturally, predates child-proof caps), but you'd have to be -- dare I say it -- fucked up not to be able to appreciate a good fuck every now and again.  

That's all I'm saying.  Add to that the aforementioned versatility of the word and really, why not?  It's the fucking Swiss Army Knife of the English language! 

So take a moment to appreciate this great fucking word.  

1 comment:

  1. You want a little knowledge?

    Scheisse is used (in German) just like fuck. Put it right in front of an adjective, noun or verb.

    You've been learned.

    ReplyDelete